Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormaurelius
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014

Hi Admin,
    I searched the forums to see if there was anything I'd missed recently about Hulu, but it looks like it's been a while since anything's been said. Neither Faster or Compatible seems to be giving me Hulu access. Has the premium IP pool been removed or I from that pool? Is there something I can do about it?

Thank you for your always great service.
    • CommentAuthoradmin

Hello maurelius,
    Thank you for reporting this. I wasn't actually aware that Hulu was not working. I haven't gotten any support requests regarding Hulu in a very long time.
    Now I'm wondering if this is a recent block or has it not been accessible for a while?
    I did some checking and as far as I can tell all of our IP addresses are being blocked by hulu.
    There hasn't been a "premium IP pool" for a few years now or I should say everyone was automatically put in the premium pool.

I don't have a solution for you right now. This is a priority item but I can't give you an ETA at the moment.
    • CommentAuthormaurelius

OIC. That is really no surprise.
    Thanks again for getting on this so quickly.
    • CommentAuthoradmin

I am curious if you can shed some light on how long this has been a problem?
    • CommentAuthormaurelius

Wish I could, but I haven't accessed it for so long because AlwaysVPN simply doesn't work through China anymore. It might connect briefly, but then get dropped. So I haven't even bothered to try it.
    • CommentAuthoradmin

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
    • CommentAuthormaurelius

Anytime!
    Hi Admin,

This is a very recent change with Hulu. I was able to access as recently as a week ago, and then tried today and was blocked. I am using in the UK.
    • CommentAuthormaurelius
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014

There's nothing he can do about it. Hulu blocked LOTS of VPN services all at once right around the time I tried it (coincidentally enough and after not having used it in ages).
    You had to know it was just a matter of time before they upgraded their detection software.
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014

Just a few hours after maurelius started this thread several major tech news sites reported that Hulu has started blocking VPN service providers more aggressively.
    http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/04/25/2054259/hulu-blocks-vpn-users
    After some initial testing and research it looks like hulu is blocking entire data center provider IP address ranges. So simply requesting "new" addresses from our existing providers that have not been used for VPN purposes doesn't work. The IP addresses have to be from a netblock that isn't known to Hulu. My guess is that there are some smaller datacenter providers out there that might have addresses that would work. The question is how long will it work before Hulu discovers them. The VPN providers that currently have a solution for the hulu block seem to be selling their customers dedicated IP addresses as an add-on cost. The problem is that IPv4 addresses are becoming increasingly scarce and it's much more difficult to convince a data center to assign you more addresses.

At the moment I have not gotten the sense that this is a big issue for the majority of AlwaysVPN customers. You two are the only ones that have reported the issue so far.
    So I am going to wait for this news to settle down a bit and see if hulu starts blocking some of the few remaining bigger providers' dedicated IP offerings.
    If it looks like it might be realistic to find a new data center with "unknown" IP addresses that hulu isn't going to block in a month then this is something I will try to pursue.
    I am not interested in getting into a battle with Hulu where I have to be on the run all the time and move servers to a new location every few weeks.

A higher priority item for AlwaysVPN is to get the service working again in China and other countries that are using deep packet inspection firewalls to block VPN traffic.
    • CommentAuthormoore6869
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2014

Just a quick note to see if anything else has come of this. I've experienced this problem for several months now. Any resolution by chance? Thanks.